Roleplay Fans Central
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sub or Dub?

+2
that-rainbow-child
Viviana
6 posters

Go down

Sub or Dub? Empty Sub or Dub?

Post by Viviana Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:45 pm

When you are watching anime do you prefer to watch it in its orignal form or the english dub? Why?
Viviana
Viviana
Admin

https://roleplayfanscentral.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Sub or Dub? Empty Re: Sub or Dub?

Post by that-rainbow-child Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:21 pm

Sub, usually. Other languages intrigue me, so it's always nice to hear things in another language. I'm also self-trained to follow along with the subs now, haha. Anime without it is just odd to me at this point xD

Also, this isn't always the case, but occasionally I'll stumble across an anime where the English voice actors just kill it. That doesn't happen all the time, but it kinda was a turn off for dubs. So yeah, I'm a subs girl.
that-rainbow-child
that-rainbow-child
Apprentice

Back to top Go down

Post by Viviana Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:53 pm

Yeah I am more of a sub fan too. I used to have trouble with subs because I couldn't read fast enough but now I've trained myself better. Subs can have disadvantages when too many words are jammed together at one time, making it hard to read and watch at the same time. Dubs make it easier to watch the anime but a lot of the time I just can't stand dubs because like you said, the english voice actors can kill the characters they are protraying. Sometimes they are okay, like with Ouran Highschool Hostclub. The english actors did a pretty good job. However in Black Butler I HATED the voice of Sebastian in the english dub. It was soooo much better in its orignal version.
Viviana
Viviana
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Spiritvoice Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:03 pm

I kind of liked Sebby's voice. It wasn't perfect, but I found it decent and kind of fitting. My dish was mostly with Grelle's voice. I got use to it, but I didn't think his voice was quite flamboyant enough. >_> I also wasn't very happy with Finny, Bard, and Mayrin's english voices, but I overlooked them a bit, since they seemed meant to annoying characters.

Anyway, I'm a straddler. I try to find the dubs when they're available, but I have no problem with watching something subbed that hasn't been dubbed yet, and I'll choose the subbed version if the dub is HORRIBLE (like Rozen Maiden *shivers*). Although, I do have to admit that, when I've seen the seen the subbed first, I sometimes don't 100% like the dub. Like, I've been watching some of FUNimation's previews for their upcoming releases, and I find myself nitpicking the previews for anime I've watched before than I do anime that I'm only just finding out about.
Spiritvoice
Spiritvoice

Back to top Go down

Post by MaelstromOfCats Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:30 pm

It's a toss up. I like subs because they maintain the original script, ideas, and direction of the show, but I also like dubs because, with dubs, I don't have to read anything and can follow along with the show's action (more importantly, character actions) more easily.

I feel I might miss a character's growth or something subtle that makes the show more enjoyable with subs, and at the same time, subs ARE something subtle that make the show more enjoyable.

Double edged sword, here.
MaelstromOfCats
MaelstromOfCats
Apprentice

Back to top Go down

Post by Viviana Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:16 pm

Yeah depending on who dubs an anime, it could or could not lose important things in the story. I know 4kids used to mess up animes bad by changing names and removing anything Japanese and replacing it with American things (like the riceballs were changed in Pokemon to things like a cracker or a sandwich)
Viviana
Viviana
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Spiritvoice Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:16 am

One of the downfalls of watching anything in a different language than yhe original is that you sometime lose cultural references and jokes in the process, subbed or dubbed. There are actually a lot things that kind of go over american viewers heads when watching anime, but subbed is better in respects to avoiding this because some subbers explain certain things.

But, Phoenix is right about 4kids being horrible in regards to cultural differences. Most other dubbing companies at least try to help the viewers understand what the Japanese originally intended in a scene, instead of automatically assuming we're too ignorant and changing it entirely (well, at least not in a serious manner...). In their defense, though, as much as it pains me to do so, they say in their name itself that they are for kids so there are some changes they made that were completely understandable(like, the name changes were probably to make then easier for young viewers to say and remember). Changing rice balls to american food, though, overstepped that border, though. Also, their desire to aquire popular shows without doing extensive research is a bit of bad judgement that killed them even more than their other bad qualities did. >_>
Spiritvoice
Spiritvoice

Back to top Go down

Post by MaelstromOfCats Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:49 am

Lol, don't even bring up 4kids.

Sub or Dub? Pokemon-motivator-4kids-dad-die
MaelstromOfCats
MaelstromOfCats
Apprentice

Back to top Go down

Post by Spiritvoice Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:07 pm

Hahaha. Exactly! xD

Although, Pokemon's been cited as one of the few things they did right. But, there's very little else.
Spiritvoice
Spiritvoice

Back to top Go down

Post by MaelstromOfCats Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:12 pm

I'm still mad about Sega's decision to transfer the 4kids Sonix X's voice actors to the Sonic games.
MaelstromOfCats
MaelstromOfCats
Apprentice

Back to top Go down

Post by that-rainbow-child Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:18 pm

The only anime I ever watched on 4kids was Tokyo Mew Mew (aka Mew Mew Power >.>). That was back before I knew what anime was- I was probably in second grade or something. Soooo I have no clue if they ruined that or not.

I heard from my friend that they basically killed One Piece, though.
that-rainbow-child
that-rainbow-child
Apprentice

Back to top Go down

Post by Viviana Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:06 pm

I remember Mew Mew Power. That was one of the first animes I watched. I hated how they stopped making it halfway through because the voice actor who played Kish (Dren) went to broadway.
4kids did mess with Tokyo Mew Mew through. They killed their names. Toyko Mew Mew's character's names were based on food.
Viviana
Viviana
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rhi'a Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:57 am

I like to watch at least one episode dubbed, just so I can hear America's interpretation of the characters' voices. I know they aren't always good, but other than that one episode, I usually watch it subbed. My friend refuses to watch anything subbed, which frustrates me. I might re-watch Hetalia: Axis Powers dubbed, if only because of the accents...*anime fall* I'm a sucker for accents.
Rhi'a
Rhi'a
Adventurer

Location : On the Zifnir (it's a pleasure cruise ship on the sandsea!)

Back to top Go down

Post by Tonitrius Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:55 am

i am indifferent usually i will watch an anime i like in both so i can see both sides of the knife but if it's a long anime then i will usually pick one and stick with it
Tonitrius
Tonitrius

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum